Friday, June 25, 2010

My fault

Earlier this week I heard that there was an employee in our office who had been arrested on suspicion of sexual assault on a child by one in a position of trust, sexual exploitation of a child and contributing to the delinquency of a minor. He is 30. The minor is 14. I don’t know him – I don’t know her. I know only what the paper printed and the rumor mill around the office threw up. But it was enough. Enough to reaffirm my initial beliefs that society is still quite quick to point fingers at the *victims* of sexual assault and continue to make excuses for those who choose to assault and rape and victimize others. This fact has been painfully brought to my attention many times throughout the years, including a college class I took where we participated in a “blame the victim” exercise and more than half of the class admitted to blaming a woman for her rape because she was walking late at night, in the dark, wearing revealing clothing.

CONTINUE READING:   MY FAULT